What do you know about
Defend with this
World War II History Made Easy quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of
1) The Curtiss P-40 was an American single-engine, single-seat,
all-metal fighter and ground attack aircraft. When was its maiden
2) The Royal Air Force's No. 112 Squadron was among the first
to operate Tomahawks, in North Africa, and the unit was the first
to feature the "shark mouth" logo, copying markings
painted on the forward fuselage of some
Messerschmitt Bf 110s.
3) During 1941-42, the P-40 was the main USAAF fighter aircraft
in a couple of the theaters of operations. What was
a theater of operation?
- South West Pacific
- Pacific Ocean
- North Atlantic
4) When the war began, the American Volunteer Group (Flying
Tigers) was integrated into the USAAF.
What unit did they become?
- 10th Fighter Group
- 23rd Fighter Group
- 47th Fighter Group
5) The 99th Fighter Squadron, better known as a famous African
American fighter unit, flew P-40s in stateside training and for
their initial eight months in the MTO.
What was the group known
- Tuskegee Airmen
- Checkertail Clan
6) The P-40L was sometimes nicknamed after a famous stripper of
the era, due to its stripped-down condition.
What was the
- Mabel Good
- Gypsy Rose Lee
- Alice Tatum
7) Who was the American Volunteer Group (Flying Tigers),
Chinese Air Force pilot that was later leader of the US Marine
Corps' VMF-214 "Black Sheep Squadron"?
- Mark Reynolds
- Gregory "Pappy" Boyington
- Dave Davis
8) As Daniel H. David, this USAAF, Southwest Pacific theater
pilot was a comedian/actor. He scored two kills against Japanese
aircraft before being shot down and seriously wounded. His
military awards and decorations include the Distinguished Flying
Cross with Oak Leaf Cluster, the Air Medal, and the Purple Heart.
Who was this comedian/actor?
- Dan Rowan
- Dean Martin
- Andy Griffith
9) Robert L. Scott, Flying Tigers/USAAF, later commander of the
US 23rd Fighter Group, in the Fourteenth Air Force. (Scored ten+
kills in the P-40.) He wrote a best selling autobiography.
was the name of the book?
- The Day I Owned the Water
- Come Back to Home
- God is My Co-Pilot
Flying Tigers, (1942) real P-40s are featured,
along with some inaccurate studio models.
Who was the star?
- Tex Ritter
- John Wayne
- Roger Smith