Clyde A. Thomason
Born: May 23, 1914
August 17, 1942
Sergeant Clyde A. Thomason is a United States Marine who is
posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for heroism at the cost
of his life while leading an assault on Makin Island on August
17, 1942. Thomason is the first enlisted Marine to be awarded
the Medal of Honor during World War II.
What do you know about Medal of Honor recipient
Sergeant Clyde A. Thomason? Try this World
War-2 History Made Easy Quiz. "Check Your
Answers" at the bottom of the page.
Where is Clyde A. Thomason born on May 23, 1914?
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Birmingham, Alabama
- Williamsburg, Pennsylvania
- Lumberport, West Virginia
2) When does he enlist in the United States Marine
- December 1932
- December 1933
- December 1934
- December 1935
3) He serves in the Marine Detachment on the Flagship of the
Asiatic Fleet, and is honorably discharged in 1939 upon the
expiration of his enlistment. What is the flagship?
- USS Augusta
- USS Atlanta
- USS West Virginia
- USS Arizona
4) The day following his discharge, he is
retained in the Fleet Marine Force Reserve. When he again
becomes a civilian, he accepts a position with the Albany,
Georgia, branch of the Fire Companies Adjustment Bureau, Inc.,
and Albany becomes his home in February 1940.
5) Thomason re-enlists in the Marine Corps
Reserve in January 1942 following the attack on Pearl Harbor.
6) Because he is so tall, 6 feet 4 inches,
and weighs 190 pounds; he has to ask for a height waiver to get
into his desired outfit. He receives his training in California
before going to the Pacific battlefields in April for duty.
He is a member of which outfit?
- 2nd Raider Battalion
- 4th Raider Battalion
- 8th Raider Battalion
- 12th Raider Battalion
7) Besides the award of the Medal of
Honor, what is NOT
an award given to Sergeant Thomason?
- Purple Heart
- Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal
- Bronze Star
- Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal w/1 star
8) The Medal of Honor is conferred
posthumously and is presented to his mother by Under-Secretary
of the Navy, James Forrestal, at ceremonies in Washington, D.C.
When is the ceremony held?
- January 1943
- January 1945
- January 1947
- January 1949
9) Sgt. Thomason is one of 30 Marines who
does not return from the Makin Island Raid. Researcher discover
a mass grave on Makin Island that contains human remains,
equipment, and dog tags belonging to Marine Raiders. Sgt.
Thomason's remains are among those identified. When is
the mass grave discovered?
- November 1949
- November 1969
- November 1999
- November 2009
10) His remains are returned to the United States and
were are his remains interred?
- Thompson Cemetery, Homer, Georgia
- Bethel Cemetery, Bacon County, Georgia
- Camp Ground Methodist Cemetery, Woodstock, Georgia
- Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia