Captain Colin Kelly, Jr.
Born: July 11, 1915, Madison, Florida
Died: December 10, 1941, Clark Field, Philippines
Colin Purdie Kelly, Jr. was a World War II B-17 Flying Fortress
pilot who flew bombing runs against the Japanese navy in the first days
after the Pearl Harbor attack.
What do you know about Colin Kelly, Jr.?
Salute him with this World War 2 History Made Easy Quiz. "Check Your Answers" at the end of
1. He is remembered as a war hero for sacrificing
his own life to save his crew when his plane became the first American
B-17 to be shot down in combat. Colin Kelly has been called the first
American hero of the Second World War.
2. On December 10, 1941, Kelly's plane lifted off
from Clark Field in the Philippines. During its bombing run, Kelly's
bomber hit a Japanese cruiser . What was the Japanese cruiser?
3. On its return flight the bomber came under
attack by Zeros, one of which was piloted by famed Japanese flying ace Saburo Sakai.
4. Kelly stayed at the controls of the badly
damaged aircraft so that the surviving crew members could bail out.
Beside Kelly, who was the only crew member killed?
- Tail gunner
- Waist gunner
5. Due to his selfless acts of courage, what
awarded was he given the on December 10, 1941, the second highest award
for heroism in the nation, by General Douglas MacArthur.
- Distinguished Service Cross
- Medal of Honor
- Silver Star
6. What year did he graduate from the U.S.
Military Academy at West Point?
7. Where is Kelly first buried?
- Manila Cemetery, Manila, Philippines
- Clark Field, Philippines
- Corregidor Island Cemetery, Corregidor,
8. Where is Captain Colin Kelly, Jr. buried?
- Chapel Of The Pines Crematory, Los Angeles,
- Oak Ridge Cemetery, Madison, Florida
- Grove Street Cemetery, New Haven, Connecticut