World War II Trivia Quiz
Choose an answer from the three choices
and True or False offered after each question and then "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
1. On November 8, 1942, the Allied invasion of
Vichy-controlled Morocco and Algeria, begins. French resistance
coup in Algiers, consisting of about 400 fighters neutralise the
Vichyist XIXth Army Corps and the Vichyist generals (Juin, Darlan,
etc.), contributing significantly to the immediate success of the
operation. What is the codename of the invasion?
- Operation Neptune
- Operation Torch
- Operation Olive
2. On November 10, in violation of a 1940 armistice, Germany
invades Vichy France ; they are responding to the fact that French
Admiral François Darlan has signed an armistice with the Allies
in North Africa.
3. On November 10, who is the British general is knighted and
made a full General?
- Andrew Cunningham
- Bernard Montgomery
- William Gott
4. On November 11, Convoys reach Malta from Alexandria; an
official announcement proclaims that the island is "relieved
of its siege."
5. On November 15, the naval battle of Guadalcanal ends. The
United States Navy suffers heavy losses and losses control of the
sea around Guadalcanal.
6. A Heavy air raid on Berlin with few losses on November 18.
Who flies the raid.
- British RAF
- US AAF
- US Marine
7. On November 22, the situation for the German attackers of
Stalingrad seems desperate during the Soviet counter-attack
Operation Uranus and the German general sends Adolf Hitler a
telegram saying that the German 6th Army is surrounded. Who is the
- General Friedrich Paulus
- General Frederick Rommel
- General Lance Becker
8. The encirclement of Stalingrad continues to stabilize on
November 25. Hitler reiterates his demand of his general not to
9. On November 27, at Toulon, France, the French navy scuttles
its ships (most notably the Dunkerque and Strasbourg) and
submarines to keep them out of German hands. The French have
declined another option, what was the option?
- To join the Allied fleets in North African waters
- To join the Allied fleets in the Pacific
- To join the German fleets in the Baltic
10. On November 30, the naval battle of Tassafaronga Point
(off Guadalcanal). It is a night action in which Japanese naval
forces sink and damage three American ships. How many Americn
cruisers are sunk?