What do you know about
Howdy Doody? Try this Alan's FUN TV Trivia Quiz. "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
It was a pioneer in children's programming and set the pattern for many
similar shows. The show began in 1947. What year did the show end?
2) Howdy Doody himself was a
freckle-faced boy marionette, and was originally voiced by Buffalo Bob
Smith. Who was NOT a puppet character on Howdy Doody?
- Dilly Dally
- J. Cornelius Cobb
3) There also were several human
characters, most notably the mute Clarabell the Clown, who communicated
by honking horns on his belt and squirting seltzer.
- Judy Taylor
- Ted Brown
- Bob Keeshan
4) In 1947, the show as an hour Saturday
morning program. However, in 1948 it became a daily show Monday thru
Friday. What was the time?
- 4:30 - 5:00 pm
- 5:00 - 5:30 pm
- 5:30 - 6:00 pm
5) What character on the show came up
- Buffalo Bob
- Chief Thunderthud
6) A distinctive feature was its on-stage
bleachers seating about 40 kids. Each show began with buffalo Bob
asking, "Say kids, what time is it?" and the kids yelling in unison,
"It's Howdy Doody Time!" It was thus one of the first television
shows to make audience participation a major part. What was the bleacher
area known as?
- the peanut gallery
- the rodeo benches
- the kids gallery
7) The characters from Howdy Doody live
in what town?
- Pioneer Village
- Cowboy Village
8) In the Canadian version, what Canadian
actor appears on the show as Ranger Bill?
- James Doohan
- William Shatner
- Robert Goulet
9) The final episode aired on September
24, 1960, entitled "Clarabell's Big Surprise". What was
his big surprise?
- He said, "Goodbye, kids"
- He cried and waved goodbye
- He ate a dish of ice cream
10) During the second season, episode
33, Buffalo Bob and Clarabell have to persuade Richie to destroy a photo
of Clarabell without his makeup on. What was the TV series?
- Happy Days
- Star Trek Voyager
- The Nanny