The Tonight Show (The Early Years)
Choose an answer from the three choices
and True or False offered after each question and then "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
1. The Tonight Show is the third
longest running US TV program. What is NOT a long running
- The Guiding Light
- Meet the Press
- The Morning Show
2. The Tonight Show first aired
September 27, 1954. Who was the original host?
- Sid Ceasar
- Mel Brooks
- Steve Allen
3. During the 1956 and 1957 season, who
hosted the show on Monday and Tuesday night?
- Elvis Presley
- Andy Griffith
- Ernie Kovacs
4. NBC decided to change the format
from a talk/variety to a news/features show like their
and retitled Tonight to Tonight! America After Dark.
5. From January 28, 1957 to June 21,
1957, who was the Tonight host?
- Jack Lescoulie
- Gene Rayburn
- Dee Finch
6. In July 1957, NBC scrapped the news
and features format, returning the program to a talk/variety show format
once again. Who became the shows host?
- Mel Brooks
- Johnny Carson
- Jack Paar
7. With the new host, who became the
- Ed Ames
- Ed McMahon
- Hugh Downs
8. Who was the first Tonight band
- Skitch Henderson
- Madd Marvin
- Manfred Mann
9. One of the early features was "Man
on the Street interviews". Frequently featured actors as recurring
characters though the host also performed impromptu bits with
non-professional civilians. Who was NOT one of the actors?
- Don Knotts
- Tom Poston
- Bob Newhart
10. In 1958, the off-again, on-again
show, hosted by Allen Funt since radio's heyday, was a segment on
Tonight Show. What was the feature?
- Candid Camera
- What Time Is It
- The Rose Show