your baseball knowledge of Ty Cobb. Get up to bat in this
"Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
1) On August 8, 1905, Ty's father, William,
is shot to death.
Next door neighbor
2) On August 30, 1905, in his first major league at-bat, Cobb doubles
off the New York Highlanders's Jack Chesbro.
What team does Cobb play for
his rookie year?
Chicago White Stockings
3) In September 1907, Cobb begins a relationship with a business that
would last the remainder of his life.
What is the business?
Jack Daniels Bourbon
The Coca-Cola Company
4) Going into the final days of the 1910 season, Cobb has a 4/10s of
a percent lead on Nap Lajoie for the American League batting title. The
prize for the winner of the title is a Chalmers Automobile. Cobb sits
out the final games to preserve his average. Nap Lajoie hits safely eight
times in his teams' doubleheader. However, six of those hits are bunt
singles, and later comes under scrutiny. Regardless, Cobb is credited
with a higher batting average. As a result of the incident, Ban Johnson
is forced to arbitrate the situation. He declares Cobb the rightful
owner of the title. However, the Chalmers company elects to award a car
to both of the players.
5) In 1915, Cobb sets the single-season record for stolen bases, with
96. This record stands until broke it in 1962.
Who brakes the record in
6) On August 19, 1921, in the second game of a double header against
Elmer Myers of the Boston Red Sox, Cobb collects his 3,000th hit. At
age 34 at the time, Cobb is the youngest ballplayer to reach the
milestone, and in the fewest at-bats (8,093).
7) A personal achievement comes in February, 1936, when the first Hall
of Fame election results are announced. Cobb has been named on 222 of
226 ballots, outdistancing Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Christy Mathewson
and Walter Johnson, the only others to earn the necessary 75% of votes
to be elected in that first year.
Who brakes his 98.2 percentage record
8) In August 1908, who does he marry?
Charlotte "Charlie" Marion Lombard
Frances Fairburn Cass
Mildred Ann Hill
9) In December, 1959, Cobb is diagnosed with prostate cancer,
diabetes, high blood pressure and Bright's disease, a degenerative
kidney disorder. He dies on July 17, 1961, at Emory University Hospital.
10) Where is Ty Cobb buried?
Rose Hill Cemetery, Royston, Georgia
Evergreen Cemetery, Tuskegee, Alabama
Oconee Hill Cemetery, Athens, Georgia,