your baseball knowledge of Roberto Clemente.
Get up to bat in this
Alan's FANatical About Baseball
"Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
1) Roberto Clemente Walker was born in
Carolina, Puerto Rico, to Melchor Clemente and Luisa Walker.
What was his birth date?
August 8, 1934
August 18, 1934
August 28, 1934
September 8, 1934
2) On April 17, 1955, Clemente made his MLB
debut for the Brooklyn Dodgers.
3) During the winter season of 1958-59,
Clemente didn't play winter baseball in Puerto Rico; instead, he
served in the United States Marine Corps Reserves. The
rigorous training program helped Clemente physically. He
added strength by gaining ten pounds and said his back troubles
When did he leave military service?
4) In the 1960 World Series against the New York
Yankees, what was his batting average in 7 games with 29 at bats?
5) What season did he win his first Golden Glove award?
6) On November 14, 1964, Clemente got married
at the church of San Fernando in Carolina, Puerto Rico.
Who did he marry?
7) From 1960 to 1972, Clemente was a National
League All-Star, except for 1 season.
What was the season?
8) On September 30, in a game at Three Rivers
Stadium, he hit a double off Jon Matlack of the New York Mets for
his 3,000th hit. It was the last at-bat of his career during a
regular season, though he did play in the 1972 NLCS playoffs
against the Cincinnati Reds. In the playoffs, he batted .235 as he
went 4 for 17. His last game ever was at Cincinnati's Riverfront
Stadium in the fifth game of the playoff series.
9) He also became the only player to have ever hit a walk-off
inside-the-park grand slam. He accomplished this historic feat on
July 25, 1956 in a 9-8 Pittsburgh win at Forbes Field.
Who did the
St. Louis Cardinals
10) Clemente decided to accompany the fourth relief flight,
hoping that his presence would ensure that the aid would be
delivered to the earthquake survivors. The airplane he chartered
for a New Year's Eve flight, a Douglas DC-7, had a history of
mechanical problems and sub-par flight personnel, and it was
overloaded by 5,000 pounds. It crashed into the ocean off the
coast of Isla Verde, Puerto Rico immediately after takeoff on
December 31, 1972.
The airplane was loaded with relief aid to
11) On March 20, 1973, the Baseball Writers
Association of America held a special election for the Baseball
Hall of Fame. They voted to waive the waiting period for Clemente,
due to the circumstances of his death, and posthumously elected
him for induction into the Hall of Fame.
12) Where was Roberto Clemente buried?
Body lost at sea, never recovered from airplane wreckage
off the coast of Puerto Rico
Cementerio Antiguo de San Juan, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Saint Marys Cemetery, Latrobe, Pennsylvania
Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronx, New York