1880 In Major League Baseball
Test your baseball knowledge of
1880 In Major League Baseball. Get up to bat in this
Trivia quiz. "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
1) What is NOT
a 1800 National League team?
- Bridgeport Eagles
- Buffalo Bisons
- Troy Trojans
- Worcester Ruby Legs
2) George Gore of the Chicago White Stockings
led the National League in batting average.
his batting average?
3) On June 12, Lee Richmond of the Worcester
Ruby Legs pitches the first perfect game in professional history
in a 1-0 victory.
What team did he beat?
- Cleveland Blues
- Dodge City Marshalls
- Orlando Magic
- Philadelphia Warriors
4) On June 17, John Montgomery Ward of the
Providence Grays pitches the 2nd perfect game in 6 days as the
Grays defeat Pud Galvin and the Buffalo Bisons 5-0. The National
League will now not see another perfect game until 1964.
5) Jim O'Rourke and Harry Stovey tie for the
National Leagues 1880 home runs.
How many did each
6) Who was the Cleveland Blues pitcher to win 45 games
in the 1880 NL season?
- Taylor Hicks
- Manny Marvin
- Jim McCormick
- Buck Owens
7) On August 6, Tim Keefe makes his major
league debut with the Troy Trojans, pitching a 4-hitter in
defeating the Cincinnati Reds. Keefe will end up with 342
career wins and be elected to the Hall-of-Fame in 1964. In
1880 he led the NL in ERA (Earned Run Average).
What was the ERA that season?
8) On October 4, The National League prohibits
the sale of alcoholic beverages in member parks and also prohibits
member parks from being rented out on Sundays. These rulings are
directly aimed at the Cincinnati Reds club who routinely did both
in order to raise additional money for their continual struggling
9) In 1880, who led the National League in strikeouts
- Danny Hoffman
- Judge Nagle
- Ernie Quigley
- Larry Corcoran
10) Who was the Baseball Hall of Fame player born on
August 12, 1880?
- Irish McIlveen
- Chief Meyers
- Christy Mathewson
- Charlie Armbruster
11) The Chicago White Stockings won the 1880
What was their won/loss record?
- 77 - 27
- 67 - 17
- 52 - 32
- 47 - 37