1901 In Major League Baseball
Test your baseball knowledge of
1901 In Major League Baseball. Get up to bat in this
Alan's FUN Baseball
Trivia quiz. "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
1) On January 28, 1901, The American League
formally organizes. The eight original clubs were the Chicago
White Stockings, Milwaukee Brewers, Indianapolis Hoosiers, Detroit
Tigers, Kansas City Blues, Cleveland Lake Shores, Buffalo Bisons,
and Minneapolis Millers. The Hoosiers, Bisons, and Millers are
contracted; the Boston Americans, Baltimore Orioles, and
Philadelphia Athletics are admitted. Teams are limited to 14
players and will play 140 games per season.
2) Who led the American League in batting with a .426
batting average, 14 home runs, and 125 RBIs?
- Nap Lajoie
- George McNamara
- Fred Schulte
- Luke Sewell
3) Who was the St. Louis Cardinals player that led the
National League in hitting with a .376 batting average?
- Les Bell
- Jesse Burkett
- Doc Farrell
- Bennie Tate
4) Cy Young of the Boston Americans led the AL
in ERA at 1.62 and wins 33 games with 158 strikeouts.
5) On April 18, with a six-run first-inning, the
Boston Beaneaters beat the Philadelphia Phillies 12-7 to open the
National League's 1901 season.
6) Sam Crawford of the Cincinnati Reds led the
National League in home runs. How many home runs did
7) Pitcher Bill Donovan led the National League
in wins. How wins did he record for the 1901 season?
8) On May 27, the third baseman of the Milwaukee
Brewers sets an American League record by committing four errors
in an inning. This record will be tied in 1914 by the Cleveland
Naps' Ray Chapman, and in 1942 by the Chicago Cubs' Len Merullo.
Who was the Brewers third baseman?
- Jimmy Burke
- Johnny Cooney
- Taylor Douthit
- Vic Sorrell
9) On September 21, the Chicago White Stockings
lose to the Philadelphia Athletics 10-4, they clinch the first
pennant of the American League as the Detroit Tigers beat the
Boston Americans 3-1.
10) On September 26, they beat the Brooklyn
Dodgers 4-3, thus clinching the 1901 National League pennant.
Who beat the Dodgers 4-3?
- Chicago Orphans
- New York Giants
- Pittsburgh Pirates
- Philadelphia Phillies