Amazing Berkeley County Facts
Did You Know?
County was formed from Frederick in 1772. It was
named for Norborne Berkeley, Baron Botetourt, governor of
Virginia, 1768-1770. IT WAS THE Home of many leaders in the
Revolution. As early as 1774, George Washington had orchards
…that the Martinsburg Historical
Marker is at the intersection of North Queen Street
and Eagle Schoolhouse Road in Martinsburg. Martinsburg was
founded in 1778, by Gen. Adam Stephen. It was named for Thomas
Martin, nephew of Lord Fairfax. It was the home of Admirals
Charles Boarman and C. K. Stribling. Locomotives were seized
here, in 1861, in Jackson's raid were drawn by horses to
…that the Hedgesville Historical
Marker on WV 9 in Hedgesville. It was the site of a
stockade fort built during the early Indian wars. Mt. Zion
Episcopal Church was built soon after. A mile west is the
tavern, built, 1740-1750, by Robert Snodgrass on land patented
in 1732 by William Snodgrass, pioneer settler.
…that on US 11, two miles north of
Martinsburg is the Fort Neally Historical Marker.
During the French and Indian War, Fort Neally was captured and
its garrison massacred, on September 17, 1756. Many settlers
in the vicinity also were killed. Among captives was Isabella
Stockton, later wife of Col. William McCleery, Morgantown.
…that the Boydville
Historical Marker is at the
600 block of South Queen Street in Martinsburg. It was built
in 1812 by Elisha Boyd, general in the War of 1812, on land
bought from Gen. Adam Stephen. The mansion was noted for its
fine workmanship. It was the home of his son-in-law, Charles
J. Faulkner, Minister to France, and his grandson, U.S.
…that at 300 West King Street at Old
Federal Building in Martinsburg is the Berkeley
Riflemen Historical Marker.
The Berkeley Riflemen from Eastern Panhandle counties, was
under Capt. Hugh Stephenson. They were the first southern
troops to join Washington in 1775 at Boston. In a "bee line"
from Morgan's Spring, they marched 600 miles in 26 days.
…that Gen. Adam Stephen Historical
Marker is at 309 East John Street in Martinsburg.
Here was the home of General Adam Stephen, founder of
Martinsburg and county's first sheriff. He was famous as
fighter in French and Indian Wars, and as major-general in the
American Revolutionary War.
…that at the end of East Martin Street and
Roundhouse Drive at Caperton Station in Martinsburg is
Railroad Strike of 1877 Historical Marker. On July
16, 1877, workers of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad went on
strike and closed this railroad yard to protest a cut in
wages. Their action sparked the largest nationwide strike the
country had seen. Extensive damage was done to company
property at Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Wheeling, and over 50
workers were killed before the strike was crushed. Federal
troops were used for the first time in a labor dispute. As the
country's first general strike, it focused national attention
on labor's grievances and made workers aware of the power of
…that the Roundhouse and Shops
Historical Marker at the end of East Martin Street
and Roundhouse Drive at Caperton Station in Martinsburg The
B&O Railroad reached Martinsburg in 1842, and by 1849, a
roundhouse and shops were built. These first buildings were
burned by Confederate troops in 1862. The present west
roundhouse and the two shops were built in 1866. The east
roundhouse was built in 1872. These buildings represent one of
the last remaining examples of American industrial railroad
architecture still intact and in use. These structures serve
as important reminders of the status of the railroad in the
mid-19th century and the role it played in the economic
development of Martinsburg, the county, and the state.
…that the Tuscarora Presbyterian Church,
which was built before 1745 by Scotch-Irish Presbyterians.
Rev. Hugh Vance, first pastor, was buried here. During Indian
days, worshipers hung their guns on pegs in the walls while
they sang and prayed. The Tuscarora Church Historical
Marker is on Tuscarora Pike at entrance to church,
about 0.5 mile west of I-81 Exit 13.
…that Swan Pond Manor Historical
Marker at WV 45 and Secondary Road 45/2, four miles
east of Martinsburg. 1.5 miles north is Swan Pond Manor, a
2,000 acre retreat set aside in 1745 for use of Thomas Lord
Fairfax, once the proprietor of the Northern Neck of Virginia
who established an estate at Greenway Court, Frederick County
in 1738. So named because wild swans inhabited site. Conveyed
in 1775 to John Lewis and in 1801 to Dr. Edward O. Williams
who built present manor house circa 1810.
…that the Van Metre Ford Bridge
Historical Marker is at Needy Road (CR 36) at
southeast end of bridge, two miles east of Martinsburg. It was
named for the property owners this stone bridge built in 1832
across Opequon Creek was major improvement for travelers on
Warm Springs Road connecting Alexandria and Bath, Va., site of
famous mineral waters. The Berkeley County Court established a
commission to study and contract for construction of bridge.
Silas Harry erected at local expense 165 foot bridge at
reported cost of $3,700.
…that the Veterans Administration
Center Historical Marker is on WV 9, 4.5 miles south
of Martinsburg. It was established as the Newton D. Baker
General Hospital, U. S. Army. It was named for Newton D.
Baker, a native of Martinsburg and Secretary of War, World War
I. It was opened for patients in 1944. It became Veterans
Administration Center in 1946.
…that on US 11, south of Martinsburg
(missing) is the Fort Evans Historical Marker.
Fort Evans was built here in 1755. It was attacked by Indians
in 1756. The men were absent but Polly Evans, whose husband,
John, had built the fort, led the women in its defense. The
Big Spring here was noted camping ground of both armies,
…that the Gerard House Historical
Marker is on Secondary road 51/2 about 0.1 mile south
of intersection with US 51 in Gerrardstown. The house was
built by John Hays in 1743. It became the home of Reverend
David Gerard, who founded Gerrardstown in 1787. His father was
Reverend John Gerard, the first Baptist Minister west of the
Blue Ridge Mountains.
that Gerrardstown was established as a town
in 1787. It was named for John Gerrard, first pastor of Mill
Creek Baptist Church, which was organized by early settlers
about 1743. The congregation reorganized after Indian
hostilities during the French and Indian War. The
Gerrardstown Historical Marker is located on WV 51 at
Gerrardstown west of intersection with US 51/5.
…that Darkesville was named for Gen.
William Darke, veteran of the Revolution and the Indian wars.
He saved the remnants of St. Clair's army from massacre in
1791 when badly defeated by the Miami Indians. His son, Capt.
Joseph Darke, lost his life. The Darkesville
Historical Marker is located on US 11 at Darkesville.
…that in Morgan Park, US 11 at Bunker Hill
is the Morgan Morgan Historical Marker.
Morgan Morgan, a native of Wales, established his home at
Bunker Hill before 1732, and was leader in the Eastern
Panhandle's early development. His sons gave name to
Morgantown, and fought in Indian and Revolutionary wars.
Chapel was the first Episcopal Church in West
Virginia. It was fostered, 1740, by Colonel Morgan Morgan, an
early immigrant from Wales, who established his home here. The
present structure, built in 1851, is still used as a place of
worship. The Historical Marker is on US 11 and secondary
road 26 in Bunker Hill.
…that "Morgan Acres" Historical
Marker is in Morgan Park, US 11 at Bunker Hill. Two
miles west is the site of the first house in present West
Virginia. It was built by Col. Morgan Morgan who came from
Delaware in 1726. It was destroyed and the one now there was
built in 1800 by another Morgan.
…that on WV 26 2.2 miles west of US 11 on
east side of Runneymead Road is the Morgan Cabin
Historical Marker. It was
originally built between 1731-34 as second home of Morgan
Morgan-first white settler in West Virginia. It was rebuilt
with some of original logs in 1976 as a State and County
Bicentennial project. It was here during the Revolution that
James Morgan, the grandson of Col. Morgan Morgan, was shot and
killed by a group of Tories. Since then, this area has been
known as Torytown.
…that by act of the Virginia House of
Burgesses in 1744, a ferry was established extending from the
mouth of Canagochego Creek in Maryland across the Potowmack to
the Evan Watkins landing, about 250 yards southeast. This
landing was also the entrance of Braddock's Road into what is
now Berkeley County, West Virginia, where Washington and
Braddock crossed in 1755 on their way to Fort Duquesne. To the
northeast is Maidstone-on-the-Potomac, home of Evan Watkins in
1744. The Watkins Ferry Historical Marker is
on the west side of US 11 North beside bridge across Potomac
…that in Martinsburg is the J.R.
Clifford Historical Marker. Clifford was born in 1848
in Hardy Co. He was a Civil War veteran, Storer College
graduate, teacher and principal at local Sumner School. He
published Pioneer Press (1882), first African American paper
in state. First of race to pass state bar exam (1887); he
argued two race discrimination cases before Supreme Court. A
founder of Niagara Movement, a predecessor of NAACP, and its
1906 Harpers Ferry meeting. He died in Martinsburg in 1933.
Did you know?
… that "Hot Fudge"
in the U.S. and Canada is usually understood to be a chocolate
product often used as a topping for ice cream in a heated form and
it is not necessarily directly connected with the confection known
more Did You
Know?...that - Food Facts...