Amazing Boone County Facts
Did You Know?
…that Boone County was formed in 1847 from
Cabell, Kanawha, and Logan. It was named for Daniel Boone,
noted hunter and explorer, who made his home in the Great
Kanawha Valley, from 1788 to 1795. In 1791, he was a member of
the Virginia Assembly from Kanawha.
…that on WV 3, in front of post office
in Peytona is the Peytona Historical
Marker. It was named for
William Madison Peyton, father of navigation on Coal River,
who promoted and actively engaged in coal mining. As chief
engineer for the Coal River Navigation Company, he locked and
dammed Coal River in the 1840's and made it navigable for
steamboats to transport cannel coal from the Peytona mines to
distant markets of the world. The maximum annual output from
these mines was approximately 200,000 tons.
Madison Historical Marker is on WV 85, Courthouse Square in
Madison. It is the County seat, incorporated in 1906 and named
for William Madison Peyton, a leader in movement for the
formation of Boone County, 1847. Peyton, pioneer in the
development of the Coal River Valley, locked and dammed Coal
River in the 1840's and made it navigable for steamboats to
transport coal from area to markets, and for a period made the
Coal Valley one of the great industrial regions of the State.
…that on WV 3 in Peytona is the Coal Discovered
Historical Marker. John Peter Salley (Salling) and companions
discovered coal near here in 1742 on their exploring trip from
the Greenbrier River. They followed the Coal River to its
junction with The Great Kanawha River at St. Albans.
…that on WV 3, Drawdy Falls Park, just west of Peytona is the
Indian Camp Historical Marker. Under rock overhang across the
highway was an Indian camp site. Here were found several
burials. One occupation, Fort Ancient, dates from A.D. 1400;
another, Buck Garden, from A.D. 1000. Pottery and other
artifacts were found.
…that the John Edward
Kenna Historical Marker is located on WV 3, Drawdy
Falls Park, just west of Peytona. To the north, birthplace and
home of John Edward Kenna, U. S. Senator and prominent figure
in the early life of this State. His statue stands among the
notables of other States in the Hall of Columns in the
national capitol in Washington.
…that Nellis was founded in 1917 by T.E.B
Siler and M. Slush; named for newspaper editor Frank Nellis.
Purchased by ARMCO in 1920. Noted as model coal mining town.
Homes were built by Minter of Huntington. ARMCO Assoc. Bldg.,
in center of town, housed store, theater, doctor's office,
barber shop, etc. The company also built church and school and
supplied utility services. It was placed on the National
Register, March 2000. The Nellis Historical Marker
is off CR1 in Nellis.
…that American Rolling Mills Co. acquired
Nellis Coal; shipped first coal on branch of C&O, December 31,
1920. Mined 500 acres of proved coal by room and pillar method
in 48 inch seam. Supplied mining infrastructure; steel tipple,
brick power house, water system, homes, community center and
store by 1925; shipped 30,000 tons of coal by 1927. Worst mine
accident, 1943, 11 killed. Mine closed in 1955. The Armco Historical Marker is off CR1 in Nellis.
…that the Boone County Courthouse
Historical Marker is located on 200 State Street,
WV85 in Madison. It was Designed by architect Russ Warene in
Neo-Classical Revival style. It opened in 1921 and replaced
the brick courthouse. It features Indiana limestone,
Beaux-Arts Classicism in small open-domed belvedere,
tetra-style 2 story porticos with Corinthian columns and Roman
keystone arched windows. The courthouse houses records dating
back to 1847 with the formation of Boone County. It is listed
on the National Register in 1981.
Did you know?
… that "Hot Fudge"
in the U.S. and Canada is usually understood to be a chocolate
product often used as a topping for ice cream in a heated form and
it is not necessarily directly connected with the confection known
more Did You
Know?...that - Food Facts...