Vehicles (Cars & Motorcycles)
Western Films
Western Stars
Westerns TV
Where Are Famous People Buried?
Year In Music
Year In Westerns

What's My State Capitals Place Names? Trivia

These are all well known State Capitals Place Names.  I will give you some information and you pick the correct place.  "Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.

Trivia powered by Prof. Walter1) I am the capital, second most populous city, and the fourth most populous metropolitan area in the Southern U.S. state of Alabama, and I am the county seat. I am located southeast of the center of the state, in the Gulf Coastal Plain. My population is 201,568 as of the 2000 census.

They incorporated me in 1819, as a merger of two towns situated along the Alabama River. I become the state capital in 1846. In February 1861, I am selected as the first capital of the Confederate States of America, until the seat of government moved to Richmond, Virginia in May of that year. Prior to European colonization, the left bank of the Alabama River is inhabited by the Alibamu tribe of American Indians. The Alibamu and the Coushatta who live on the opposite side the river are adept mound builders.

The present-day is built on the site of two Alibamu towns: Ikanatchati (or Ecunchatty or Econachatee), meaning "red earth"; and Towassa, built on a bluff called Chunnaanaauga Chatty. The first Europeans to come through central Alabama are Hernando de Soto and his expedition, who come through Ikanatchati and camp for one week in Towassa in 1540.
What's My Place Name?

• Montgomery, Alabama
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • Akron, Alabama
  • Town Creek, Alabama

2) I am the capital of Connecticut. I am located along the Connecticut River, 24 miles south of Springfield, Massachusetts. My 2006 population of 124,512 ranks me as the state's second-largest city, after Bridgeport. New Haven, 40 miles to the south, has a population nearly identical to me. I am also the largest metro area in Connecticut and 45th largest in the country (2006 census estimate) with a metropolitan population of 1,188,841.

My nicknamed the "Insurance Capital of the World", I house many of the world's insurance company headquarters, and insurance remains the region's major industry. Almost 400 years old, L am among the oldest cities in the United States, and following the American Civil War, I took the mantle of the country's wealthiest city from New Orleans.
What's My Place Name?

• Bridgeport, Connecticut
  • Deep River, Connecticut
  • Hartford, Connecticut
  • Lakeside, Connecticut

3) I am the capital of and the most populous census-designated place (CDP) in Hawaii. Although my name refers to the urban area on the southeastern shore of the island of Oahu, the city and the county are consolidated, known as the city and county, and the city and county is designated as the entire island. I am the only incorporated city in Hawaii, as all other local government entities are administered at the county level. The population of the CDP is 371,657 at the 2000 census, while the population of the City and County is 909,863.

In the Hawaiian language, my name means "sheltered bay" or "place of shelter." Evidence of my first settlement by the original Polynesian migrants to the archipelago comes from oral histories and artifacts. These indicate that there is a settlement where I now stands in the 12th century. However, after Kamehameha I conquered Oahu in the Battle of Nuuanu at Nuuanu Pali, he moves his royal court from the Island of Hawaii to Waikīkī in 1804. His court later relocates, in 1809, to what is now my downtown.
What's My Place Name?

• Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Hana, Hawaii
  • Turtle Bay, Hawaii
  • Honolulu, Hawaii

4) I am a city in the Commonwealth of Kentucky that serves as the state capital and the county seat. The population is 27,741 at the 2000 census; by population, it is the 5th smallest state capital in the United States. In 1786 James Wilkinson purchased the 260-acre tract of land on the north side of the Kentucky River that is my downtown. He is an early promoter to make me the country's capital. I probably received my name from an event that takes place in 1780s when Indians attack a group of pioneers from Bryan�s Station who are making salt at a ford in the Kentucky River. One of the pioneers, Stephen Frank, is killed and the crossing becomes known as "Frank�s Ford."
What's My Place Name?

• Frankfort, Kentucky
  • Franklin, Kentucky
  • Fredonia, Kentucky
  • Frenchburg, Kentucky

5) I am the capital of the Maryland, as well as the county seat of Anne Arundel County. I have a population of 36,524 (July 2008 est.), and I am situated on the Chesapeake Bay at the mouth of the Severn River, 26 miles south of Baltimore and about 29 miles east of Washington D.C. Annapolis is part of the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area. I am the temporary capital of the United States in 1783-1784. A settlement in the Province of Maryland named Providence is founded on the north shore of the Severn River in 1649 by Puritan exiles from Virginia led by Governor William Stone. The settlers later move to a better-protected harbor on the south shore. The settlement on the south shore is initially named "Town at Proctor's," then "Town at the Severn," and later "Anne Arundel's Towne" (after the wife of Lord Baltimore who dies soon afterwards).
What's My Place Name?

• Abington, Maryland
  • Adelphia, Maryland
  • Annapolis, Maryland
  • Ashton, Maryland

6) I am the capital and the most populous city in Mississippi. I am one of two county seats of Hinds County (the town of Raymond is the other), but I also contains areas in Madison and Rankin Counties. The 2000 census records my population at 184,256, but according to July 1, 2008 estimates, the city's population is 173,861 and its five-county metropolitan area has a population of 537,285. The area which is now me is originally part of the Choctaw Nation. Under pressure from the US government, the Choctaw Native Americans agrees to removal from all lands east of the Mississippi River under the terms of the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek in 1830.

The area that is now me is initially referred to as Parkerville and is settled by Louis LeFleur, a French Canadian trader, along the historic Natchez Trace trade route. The area then becomes known as LeFleur's Bluff. LeFleur's Bluff is founded based on the need for a centrally located capital for the state of Mississippi. In 1821, the Mississippi General Assembly, meeting in the then-capital of Natchez, have sent Thomas Hinds (for whom Hinds County is named), James Patton, and William Lattimore to look for a site. After surveying areas north and east of me, they proceed southwest along the Pearl River until they reach LeFleur's Bluff in Hinds County.
What's My Place Name?

• Houston, Mississippi
  • Indianola, Mississippi
  • Jackson, Mississippi
  • Macon, Mississippi

7) I am the capital city of Montana and the county seat of Lewis and Clark County. The population was 25,780 at the 2000 census, and had been estimated to rise to 29,351 by 2008. The local daily newspaper is the Independent Record. The local weekly (and independent) newspaper is the Queen City News. I am established on October 30, 1864, following the discovery of gold along Last Chance Creek by the "Four Georgians". The city's main street is named Last Chance Gulch and lies close to the winding path of the original creek through the historic downtown district. The town is originally named "Crabtown", after John Crab, one of the "Four Georgians". As other miners arrive and the town expands, the name is changed to a more appealing title.
What's My Place Name?

• Big Sandy, Montana
  • Billings, Montana
  • Chinook, Montana
  • Helena, Montana

8) I am the capital city of North Carolina, the seat of Wake County and the second largest city in North Carolina behind Charlotte. I am known as the "City of Oaks" for its many oak trees. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city's estimated population on July 1, 2008 was 392,552 (a 42% increase from the 2000 Census), making me the 8th fastest growing city and the 45th largest city in the United States. In December 1770, Joel Lane successfully petitioned the North Carolina General Assembly to create a new county, resulting in the formation of Wake County.

The county is formed from portions of Cumberland, Orange, and Johnston counties. The county gets its name from Margaret Wake Tryon, the wife of Governor William Tryon. The first county seat was Bloomsbury. I am chosen as the site of a new state capital in 1788. It is officially established in 1792 as both the new county seat and the new state capital. The city is named in 1792 for the sponsor of the Colony of Roanoke.
What's My Place Name?

• Alliance, North Carolina
  • Bethlehem, North Carolina
  • Maysville, North Carolina
  • Raleigh, North Carolina

9) I am the capital of Oregon, and the county seat of Marion County. It is located in the center of the Willamette Valley alongside the Willamette River, which runs north through the city. The river forms the boundary between Marion and Polk counties. I am founded in 1842, became the capital of the Oregon Territory in 1851, and is incorporated in 1857. The American Indians who originally inhabits Salem, the Kalapuyans call the area Chemeketa, which means "meeting or resting place" in the Central Kalapuya language (Santiam).

The original Kalapuya pronunciation of the word is Chim-i-ki-ti. When the Methodist Mission move to the Chemeketa plain, the new establishment is called Chemeketa, but is more widely known as the Mill because of its situation on Mill Creek. It is uncertain who chose my name for the new town, but it is believed to be one of two people: trustee David Leslie or William H. Willson who in 1850�1851 filed the plats for the main part of the city. There are many names suggested and even after the change, some people, such as Asahel Bush (editor), believe the name should be changed back to Chemeketa.
What's My Place Name?

• Fort Washington, Oregon
  • Gates, Oregon
  • Salem, Oregon
  • Weston, Oregon

10) I am the capital and largest city of Wyoming and the county seat of Laramie County. My population is 53,011 at the 2000 census, making it the second smallest city to be the largest city in its state, after Burlington, Vermont. Cheyenne is the northern terminus of the extensive and fast-growing Front Range Urban Corridor. On July 4, 1867, General Grenville M. Dodge and his survey crew plat the site in the Dakota Territory (later Wyoming Territory). This site is chosen as the point at which the Union Pacific Railroad crossed Crow Creek, a tributary of the South Platte River.

The city is not named by Dodge, as his memoirs state, but rather by friends who accompany him to the area Dodge called "Crow Creek Crossing." It is named for an American Indian Cheyenne nation, one of the most famous and prominent Great Plains tribes closely allied with the Arapaho. There are many from a hundred miles around who feel the construction of the Union Pacific Railroad through the area would bring them prosperity. By the time the first track is built into me November 13, 1867, over four thousand people have migrated into the new city.

Because I sprang up like magic, according to newspaper editors visiting from the East, it becomes known as "Magic City of the Plains".
What's My Place Name?

• Alpine, Wyoming
  • Casper, Wyoming
  • Cheyenne, Wyoming
  • Wamsutter, Wyoming

Check Your Answers

1 page of 1