Philippi Covered Bridge
Philippi Covered Bridge, on the Tygart River, is
the main local landmark and historical icon of Philippi, West
bridge was commissioned by the General Assembly of Virginia and
constructed in 1852 by Lemuel Chenoweth, a well-known Appalachian
bridge builder, to provide a link on an important segment of the
vital Beverly-Fairmont Turnpike between Beverly (Chenoweth's
hometown) and Fairmont. The bridge has strong associations with the
American Civil War, especially the Battle of Philippi (1861).
The Philippi Covered
Bridge is the oldest and longest covered bridge in West Virginia and
one of only two remaining in Barbour County. It is also the only
covered bridge serving the US Federal Highway system (U.S. Route
250). It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on
September 14, 1972.